It’s time for a ‘best of’ series of the Amazing Race. This time, a lot of teams from the most recent Amazing Race editions are racing once again. I’m happy to see Margie/Luke racing again, with some of the other players. I don’t really like Ron. He’s somewhat of an ass to his daughter Christina and he tried to do the same to Mallory, but she just let him eat her dust. Amanda/Kris didn’t manage to catch up, but they were close. It looks like next week, the cheerleaders will hit some dude in Japan.
Archive for February, 2011
Tags: cbs, race, reality tv, recap, review, Season 18, the amazing race, tv, Unfinished Business, world
Tags: FBI, Matt Bormer, Payback, Police Procedural Drama, recap, review, Tim DeKay, tv, USA, USA Network, White Collar, white collar crime, White Collar S02E14
The pilot episode of White Collar was most definitely slick and smart, as well as charming, as Matt Bormer will charm the pants off anyone he meets as his suave alter ego Neal Caffrey.
This show most definitely fits in the USA Network’s slew of shows, which include Burn Notice and Royal Pains. It has good pacing and interesting chemistry between Matt Bormer and Tim DeKay, something that isn’t easy to fake. They work well on the screen, there is no denying this.
Basically, Dekay’s Burke is a white collar specialist who put Bormer’s Caffrey away a few years ago. In order to reduce his sentence a bit further, after having escaped a super max jail, Caffrey offers to help Burke to catch the illusive Dutchman, a criminal that Burke has also been chasing for a few years. This setup kind of reminds me of Spielberg’s Catch Me If You Can as well as The Sting with Redford and Newman.
What’s also interesting, is that the guys don’t just keep this professional. They also involve their personal lives. Burke needs help to make his hot wife Elizabeth, played by Tiffani Thiessen, happy while Caffrey is searching for his wife that just vanished. All in all, a great show with good actors. I recommend it.
Warning: spoilers ahead
Tags: Angry Birds, blogs, infographic, likability, mattew inman, Technabob, technology, the oatmeal, video games
Tags: blogs, iFixit, Motorola, tablets, teardown, Technabob, technology, Xoom
As usual, iFixIt did their best to tear down the latest new gadget – the Motorola Xoom – the minute it was released. It’s taken a while before the iPad received any significant competition from other manufacturers. Will the Xoom be able to compete? While the teardown doesn’t answer that question, it did reveal one important differentiator – the Xoom may be upgradeable.
Read more @ Technabob
Tags: blogs, daily, tweets, Twitter
- 01:31:01: Paintball Robot Brings the Pain to the Paintball Arena http://wp.me/pWvW-5iU
- 01:37:30: Got a lot of shit done today. Picked up the broken scooter, made my police statement, and resolved the issue with the offending driver.
- 01:38:04: My scooter guy is really stellar. I’ve known him for 4 years and he’s always gone the extra mile for me. I had dinner with them after.
- 01:38:38: The offending driver was posturing a lot, but the police gave him a dressing down. Obviously, if this would go to court, he’d lose
- 01:39:18: I don’t want to go to court bc I need this resolved ASAP. Yesterday I was so zonked out that I mixed up the numbers of my telephone #
- 01:40:18: #Portlandia is really good. I love Carrie Brownstein. Too bad Sleater Kinney is dead though.
- 10:50:09: It looks like Twittinesis died overnight. Are there any other alternatives to publishing tweets to a blog?
- 10:51:39: @Joanna_Rees switch on your skype babe
- 12:19:23: RT @voyonsvoir Emily Senko par Wendy Bevan pour.. http://bit.ly/gxr8Bl #emily #senko #marie #claire #italia #wendy #bevan
- 12:19:37: Victoria’s Secret Models by Inez & Vinoodh for Vogue Paris March 2011 – ZAC FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY http://t.co/wA5mPSg via @ZACFashionPhoto
- 12:19:50: Olga Kurylenko by Ruben Vega for Telva March 2011 – ZAC FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY http://t.co/JJzVfCC via @ZACFashionPhoto
- 12:20:08: Tom Munro for Numéro March 2011 – ZAC FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY http://t.co/4PzyFge via @ZACFashionPhoto
- 12:22:30: Cato van Ee by Rennio Maifredi for Marie Claire Italia March 2011 – ZAC FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY http://t.co/EXM7nY0 via @ZACFashionPhoto
- 13:44:24: Looks like #loudtwitter is still operational. Since Twittinesis seems to have failed, I’m back with Loudtwitter.
- 13:45:20: Watched Camelot yesterday. It was interesting, but I don’t like the actor who plays Arthur Pendragon. He’s a bit a too wide-eyed neophyte
- 14:24:34: BTW, my old scooter is toast. It’s been written off. Lucky for me the offending driver has to shell out money for a new one
- 14:26:05: I read that some people are gushing over higher resolution MacBook Pros. Honestly, my 17 MBP has got enough rez. I don’t need anymore
- 14:26:18: Still a retina display would be awesome
- 14:31:09: Such a beautiful day in Taipei, it’s summer now. I’m stuck inside because I have trouble walking bc of the abrasions
- 15:27:15: Really enjoying White Ring’s Roses http://t.co/92hjJGt via @youtube
- 15:50:28: You can see the extent of your injuries when you dress your own wounds. Mine aren’t so bad. The stitches on my right knee hurt pretty bad
- 15:50:50: Well, that’s not true. My legs hurt from abrasions mostly and I’m very sore.
- 15:51:17: Dressed my wounds yesterday. Probably going to do the same today. Keeping the skin around the would moisturized is a good tip for healing
- 16:10:35: Holy crow, demonoid is back online.
- 16:18:45: Just listened to White Ring’s Roses a few times. I can clearly hear the post-industrial influence, mixed in with some great creepy moods.
- 16:20:06: What attracted me was the melodies and the vocals, which reminded me of Crystal Castles
- 17:10:50: RT @shoshido: “He sure looks handsome in all that money.”
- 18:06:22: “It’s Tik Tok by Ke dollar sign ha.” Principal in Glee
- 18:15:35: That was actually more like this: “It’s Tik and also Tok by Ke dollar sign Ha.” This week’s Glee episode was really good.
- 18:18:54: Best performance was obviously by Hearther Morris as she covered Tik Tok by Kesha. The choreography was really good.
- 18:19:08: I also liked Don’t you want me baby by the Human League.
- 18:23:37: Witch House band White Ring made me think of Waldgeist’s Der Schlächter http://t.co/GNsM59J via @youtube
- 18:38:20: One of my faves when I was spinning EBM/Industrial Dorsetshire- Straße der Verdammnis http://t.co/uBSAxoH
- 18:39:26: Currently catching up on some EBM/Industrial bands I used spin when I was a DJ
- 18:58:05: Castle The Final Nail S03E15 (ABC) http://wp.me/pWvW-5iZ
- 19:00:25: Castle Setup S03E16 (ABC) http://wp.me/pWvW-5j1
- 19:04:09: Fringe 6B S03E14 (Fox) http://wp.me/pWvW-5j4
- 19:07:27: Jersey Shore The Great Depression S02E21/S03E08 (MTV) http://wp.me/pWvW-5j6
- 19:10:31: Jersey Shore Kissing Cousins S02E22/S03E09 (MTV) http://wp.me/pWvW-5j8
- 20:05:04: The Mentalist Red Queen S03E16 (CBS) http://wp.me/pWvW-5jb
- 20:59:19: I think that the pain is actually worse today than yesterday. Granted, it didn’t almost make me faint, but it’s pretty painful
- 21:12:04: Accidents Part 1 http://wp.me/pWvW-5je
- 21:35:55: Accidents Part 2 http://wp.me/pWvW-5jh
Follow me @ twitter.com/djrange
Tags: accident, asia, car, motorcycle, SBK, scooter, taipei, taiwan, traffic
After I got up, worked a bit, caught up on some news, I walked the dog. Then, I hailed a cab for the short drive down to the scooter shop. I told them about my accident and that we needed to pick up my scooter. This is the one shop that I have dealt with for four years. They are very dependable and have picked me up many times before whenever my scooter broke down.
Yesterday, after I had spent 2 hours on the sofa, I got up. The blood rushed to my legs and to my wounds. The pain became almost overwhelming, but I managed to hobble to the dining table. Then, I started to feel as I would lose consciousness. My eyesight was graying, and sounds were muffled. I was also dizzy. Once I was back down, it was OK, but it was still an interesting experience.
Tags: accident, asia, car, motorcycle, scooter, taipei, taiwan, traffic
On my way home from work on Friday evening, at around 9PM, I was driving along a street when an old Mercedes-Benz E-Class hit me. I was on a scooter. It was in the opposite lane, turning to its left, meaning that it would cross my lane. I had right of way and the light was green. He must have accelerated because one moment he was just waiting there, without his turn signal engaged, and the next I remember thinking “Oh shit” and then I was on my bum.
My scooter hit the right front side of his car. It was pretty brutal, as the police photos showed. The front end of his car was toast, as was the windshield. I was wearing motorcycle gear, which included a full face motorcycle helmet, gloves, and jacket. I must have somersaulted over the car at least once. The next thing I knew, I was being dragged or aided to the side of the road. I was trying to take off my jacket. My shoe was missing. I felt blood trickling down my legs. I saw the driver on his phone. He had also dragged my scooter to the side. Then he moved his car to the side as well. He wasn’t supposed to do this, but there was traffic.
I almost lost consciousness. I felt the grayness enveloping me. Sounds were being obscured, but I didn’t faint. I was just woozy. The ambulance arrived and they took me to the hospital. After checking me out, they took my vitals and started to patch me up. I had a laceration on my right knee that needed three stitches. I doesn’t sound like much, but it was surrounded by abrasions. It was extremely painful when the doc was disinfecting it. After they bandaged me, they took some x-rays. Then, I was taken to the observation room.
I was mostly left to my own devices. I had the presence of mind to check if all of my things were intact, and I started drinking water from my own water bottle, as they hadn’t offered me. I downed at least 1L. The police came to take a statement, but they didn’t speak any English. They took my info and gave me a Breathalyzer test. I don’t drink any alcohol at all and the test showed this.
The doc told me that nothing was broken and that I was free to leave whenever I wanted to. I wanted to stay and sleep, but I had to get home. Spike needed to be fed and walked. I also had a post due. So I picked myself up and got up. I paid the fee and got my meds. In total, it cost me $18 USD and this included the ambulance drive plus three days worth of medications. I hobbled around after I had fed Spike and walked him. I worked a bit, but I don’t think I was very productive. I skyped with the wife.
Tags: CBI, cbs, face reading, Lisbon, micro-expressions, Patrick Jane, Police Procedural Drama, recap, Red John, Red Queen, review, The Mentalist, The Mentalist S03E16
The Mentalist tells the story of Patrick Jane played by Simon Baker, a man specializing in studying the micro-expressions of people who became involved with trying to catch a serial killer named Red John. Red John killed his wife and daughter. Since then, Jane has been working with the stupidly named CBI, California Bureau of Investigations, a kind of state police.
Robin Tunney plays Agent Lisbon, who is in charge of the unit. Van Pelt is the new agent on the squad. Rigsby has a crush on her. The Mentalist is kind of like the TNT show Psych, but it’s not a comedy, it’s a drama. I’ve enjoyed this series because it’s light and interesting. I’ve kind of come to despise Criminal Minds.
Jane uses his semi-celebrity and his lack of protocol to solve cases quickly, cases in which the CBI wouldn’t be able to come up with answers without him. Each episode has the color red in its title. The Mentalist resembles the show Lie to Me, which premiered in 2009 on Fox. The Mentalist started on the 23rd of September 2008 on CBS.
Warning: Spoilers ahead.