Operation Healthy Living

I’ve been indulging in too many 7-11 meals and street food in Taiwan. I’d also been drinking some Coke to give myself that last bout of caffeine to get through my evening classes. Since Spike arrived, I’ve been walking more.

Since I’ve arrived in Quebec, I haven’t eaten anything unhealthy, except that first stop at Ashton. Everyday I’ve been eating home cooked meals that I’ve prepared myself. Just yesterday, I made a chili. I’ve made broiled chicken in the oven, a spicy chicken soup, some tomato and basilic sausages and a great chili. I’ve been eating a lot of fruits. I haven’t been eating any sweets or chips. I haven’t drunk a soda since I arrived. I’m drinking 25% of the tea that I used to drink.

I think I’m doing pretty well. I’ve discovered pumpernickel bread again. It’s delicious. I don’t like whole wheat or multigrain bread. But pumpernickel. Reminds me of my childhood. I eat it with a bit of Chorizo dried sausage and Danish blue cheese. Blue cheese is excellent. I really like the taste. I haven’t eaten it in years. I used to eat brie or Camembert, but blue cheese is just great.

Now that the semester has started and that I have my student card, I’ve decided to start working out again. I went to the PEPS today after my classes. The PEPS is the sports center for the university. 35000 students go to University Laval. The PEPS needed to be substantial in order to accommodate them all, including staff and other customers.

I started out by getting a basket with a towel, some shorts, a t-shirt and some socks for my running. For the whole semester, I paid 23$. I then went for a swim. I had checked the schedule and knew that I had about half an hour before the end of the afternoon access. I swam for about 20 minutes. It was all confusing since I had taken out my contacts. I could barely see where I was going. I found it comical. I had to ask someone which swimming corridor of the pool I could use. I used the deep end and I liked it.

I then took a shower and popped into the sauna. I stayed there for 30 minutes and left. The walk to the bus stop was arduous. I was really tired. I made it and had to wait another 20 minutes for the bus. I came home and ate some chili.

Author: range

I'm mathematician/IT strategist/blogger from Canada living in Taipei.