blackball (plural blackballs)
- a rejection, a vote against admitting someone
- a black ball used to indicate such a negative vote
- Regardless how many other people may have voted to approve a candidate for membership,a single blackball will reject the candidate.
- the act of so rejecting someone
|Third person singular
to blackball (third-person singular simple present blackballs, present participle blackballing, simple past and past participle blackballed)
- (transitive) to vote against, especially in an exclusive organization
- If you’re not from a moneyed, well-connected family, you can count on getting blackballed from the fraternity.
- (transitive) to ostracize